Thursday, March 19, 2015

My Illustrations for Avanzadoras



I am one of the twelve 12 women illustrators who have made two illustrations forAvanzadoras: a CD-Book tribute to the women who fight for their rights in the world. 

The CD-Book is published by Oxfam Intermon and it tells the stories of 12 active women, who are committed leaders working to involve women in decision-making spaces, helping them find decent jobs and become financially independent and also helping them have a life free of violence and access to health and education.

My first illustration pays tribute to María Morales, a K'iche Maya leader in Guatemala, well known for her commitment to the rights of indigenous women. 



When she was 16 she became involved in youth groups in her community and she learned how to read and write. Now, as the general 

coordinator of the Majawil Q'ij ("New Dawn") organization, which currently has over 3,000 members, she helps women in situations of 

violence and poverty.

María denounces the triple threat of violence faced by indigenous women in Guatemala. On the one hand, racism. On the 

other, political violence from the army and the police, which she felt especially especially felt during the armed conflict when the army 

tried to kidnap her. And finally, intra-household domestic violence.

Training is key to empowering women and ending the violence. Maria informs them of their rights as women and also promotes 

 male participation in these activities.

María: "I have never shared the idea that women should be at home. We have to participate in everything."

"I believed that violence was normal but with my work in the organization I realized it was not."























The second illustration is for a song in the CD sung by Spanish singer Leonor Watling. It's a cover of "Natural Woman" by Carole King.


The lyrics say:

Looking out on the morning rain
I used to feel uninspired
And when I knew I had to face another day
Lord, it made me feel so tired
Before the day I met you, life was so unkind
But your love was the key to peace of mind
Cause you make me feel, you make me feel,
You make me feel like a natural woman
When my soul was in the lost-and-found
You came along to claim it
I didn't know just what was wrong with me
Till your kiss helped me name it
Now I'm no longer doubtful of what I'm living for
And if I make you happy I don't need to do more
Cause you make me feel, you make me feel,
You make me feel like a natural woman
Oh, baby, what you've done to me
You make me feel so good inside
And I just want to be close to you
You make me feel so alive
Cause you make me feel, you make me feel,
You make me feel like a natural woman



Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...